Bacot says he’s returning for a fifth season at Carolina

Armando Bacot is coming back to Carolina for a fifth season. “The primary reason I am coming back is because I don’t want to leave North Carolina this way. But I also know I need to improve and feel like this is the best place to do that,” Bacot told Goodman after the Tar Heels finished 20–13 and missed the NCAA tournament. “I’m using my last year of eligibility.” Bacot said. “I felt it was the right decision for my future.”

Tar Heels in NBA: Sharpe scores more than a point a minute, ties career-high with 20, is +27; Anthony, Barnes, Kessler putting up consistent numbers

The Brooklyn Nets haven’t given Day’Ron Sharpe many chances to show what he can bring to the team in recent weeks. He took advantage of a chance Tuesday night. After playing only two of the previous nine games, Sharpe came off the bench to lead the Nets in scoring and was a game-high +27 in their 115–109 home loss Tuesday to the Cleveland Cavaliers, Brooklyn’s fourth consecutive loss.

UNC-Ohio State battle of two torrid defensive teams that battle inconsistency

COLUMBUS, Ohio —With two of the toughest defensive teams in the country who also have had consistency issues in a few stretches, it’s difficult to know what to expect when No. 20-ranked North Carolina and No. 12-ranked Ohio State battle for a Sweet 16 berth on Monday. The No. 3-seed Buckeyes (26–7) lost three in a row and went 7–7 their first 19 games. The No. 6-seed Tar Heels (22–10) dropped four straight in late December and early January, and lost three of four in February. The latter stretch, though, was without starters Alyssa Ustby and Eva Hodgson.

Carolina’s battle with Ohio State for Sweet 16 berth draws early start time

No. 20-ranked North Carolina plays on Ohio State’s home court for a berth in the Sweet 16 at 4 p.m. Monday in a game that will air on ESPN. The No. 6-seed Tar Heels’ game against the No. 12-ranked and No. 6-seed Buckeyes (26–7) at the Schottenstein Center in Columbus, Ohio, is the initial second-round NCAA tournament game of the day.

UNC sophomore Styles reportedly entering transfer portal

After playing sparingly in his sophomore season at North Carolina, wing Dontrez Styles is entering the transfer portal to find a new basketball home, according to On3. It was always going to be a tough decision for the 6–6, 210-pound former Kinston High School star, who grew up as a UNC fan and with his room decorated with Carolina items. When he committed to the Tar Heels, he said it was something that he had been “dreaming of since I was a little kid.”

UNC hits three HRs, on school-record homer pace, scores 16 runs for 2nd game in row

CHAPEL HILL — The first month of the season has been a power trip for No. 18 North Carolina, which is hitting home runs at a school-record pace and piling up runs. That continued Wednesday with three home runs, as the Tar Heels scored double-digit runs for the ninth time and at least 14 for the sixth time. UNC collected 17 hits in a 16–2 rout of High Point on a chilly evening at Boshamer Stadium for its third win in a row.

Styles, still debating future, wanted to play in NIT, says Coach Davis made decision

Dontrez Styles, who still is deciding whether he’ll return to Carolina next season, said Tuesday that Coach Hubert Davis told the team after the NCAA selection show that the Tar Heels wouldn’t accept an NIT invitation. “It was the coach’s decision,” Styles said during his weekly “Tuesdays with Trez” segment on “The Bryan Hanks Show” on WRNS 960 AM in Kinston.